The Woodlands is a 28,000-acre award-winning master planned community located 27 miles north of downtown Houston. Throughout its 43-year history, The Woodlands has led the way among master planned communities that practice environmental preservation. It's home to more than 114,600 people, and over 64,000 people work in the community.The Woodlands is one of the top master planned communities in the nation,fosters the best in family life, career opportunities and neighborhood involvement.
- Dining: Approximately 200 specialty and family restaurants, Restaurant Row at Hughes Landing
- Upscale Shopping: Market Street, The Woodlands Mall, Hughes Landing
- Parks and Activities: 7,790 acres of green space, 130 neighborhood parks, 205 miles of hike and bike trails, 200-acre Lake Woodlands, golf, tennis, kayaking
- Entertainment: Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, Arts Festival, Insperity Golf Championship, Hughes Landing, Waterway Square
- Business: Over 21 million square feet of office, research, institutional and industrial space with over 63,000 employees in The Woodlands
- Medical: Memorial Hermann, CHI St. Luke's Health, Texas Children's Hospital
- Schools: Conroe, Tomball and Magnolia Independent School districts, top private schools, 12,800 students enrolled in college course
Resources:History Of The Woodlands
Directory Of Services In The Woodlands
The Woodlands Amenities Map
The Woodlands Community Facts
The Woodlands Demographics
The Woodlands Residents Manual
The Woodlands Senior Housing Map
The Woodlands Apartment Map
The Woodlands House Tax Comparison
The Woodlands New Home Tax Comparison
VillagesIn The Woodlands, each village is like its own small town, complete with shopping centers, community organizations, exceptional schools, extensive recreational facilities, healthcare and welcoming places of worship. Within the villages are individual neighborhoods, each with its own charm and identity. Begun in 1974, this approach enables the villages of The Woodlands to support a wide choice of home styles and price ranges, as well as neighborhoods settings that include golf course, lakeside, greenbelt, urban and gated communities.
Village of Grogan's Mill, opened in 1974, was The Woodlands' initial neighborhood. It is named for the former Grogan-Cochran Lumber Mill.
- Grogan's Point contains estates with larger lot sizes (approx 3/4 acre) within the Village of Grogan's Mill.
- Town Center is a largely commercial zone within the Village of Grogan's Mill
- Village of Panther Creek, The Woodlands' second neighborhood, was opened in 1976. It is situated along the west shore of Lake Woodlands.
- Village of Cochran's Crossing, opened in 1983, is the site of The Woodlands High School. It is named for the Grogan-Cochran Lumber Mill.
- Village of Indian Springs is the most compact of the villages, It sits on the northern edge of Spring Creek and is named for the Bidais Indian artifacts discovered during its development prior to 1984.
- Village of Alden Bridge, opened in 1993, occupies the Northwest corner of The Woodlands.
- Village of College Park opened in 1995 and is the location of Lone Star College and Sam Houston State University-The Woodlands Center. This village occupies the area around State Highway 242 and the Harper's Landing neighborhood east of I-45.
Village of Sterling Ridge opened in 2000 and is the site of The Woodlands High School’s Ninth Grade Campus
- The gated luxury community of Carlton Woods is within Sterling Ridge
- Village of Creekside Park is the most recent village development; it is within Harris County and is slated for 5,516 single-family production homes, 541 homes for residents 55 and over, 738 multi-family residences, and 298 custom and estate homes in the gated Carlton Woods Creekside neighborhood.
SchoolsFrom the beginning of its 40-year history, excellence in education and lifelong learning has been a top priority in the development of The Woodlands. In The Woodlands you will find a choice of more than 30 pre-schools and childcare centers; exemplary public schools and acclaimed private schools; plus associates, undergraduate and graduate degree programs at Lone Star College-Montgomery, Lone Star College-University Center and Sam Houston State University, all without ever leaving The Woodlands.
The Woodlands Schools Fact Sheet
Private Schools in The Woodlands
Preschools/Child Care in The Woodlands
Approximately 20,000 college students attend Lone Star College-Montgomery and Lone Star College-University Center which are both located in the Village of College Park.
Lone Star College – Montgomery has a forested, 100-acre campus on College Park Drive, Students can earn an associate’s degree in a variety of disciplines. The Academy of Lifelong Learning here serves older, active adults who want to continue their education.
Lone Star-University Center in The Woodlands offers degree plans from various universities. It allows students to enroll at a partner university to complete a bachelor's, master's, or doctorate degree without having to travel to the university campus. Courses are provided by Our Lady of the Lake University, Texas A&M University (graduate courses only), University of Houston-Victoria, and University of St. Thomas (graduate courses only).
Sam Houston State University - The Woodlands Center offers junior, senior and graduate programs at the new Woodlands Center. Its over 144,000 square-foot building provides high-tech classrooms, lecture halls, an 80-seat computer lab, and a 120 -seat auditorium.
Parks and RecreationThe Woodlands entertainment options include two movie theaters, Cinemark at The Woodlands with 17 screens and five screens at Cinemark at Market Street. Each venue has state of the art sound and seating. The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – an award winning, open-air venue for up to 16,000 people –is the summer home of the Houston Symphony and hosts major acts in every genre.
GolfHome seekers have an incredible array of choices in The Woodlands. Some neighborhoods highlight the golf course or lakeside, others highlight the urban feel of Town Center. Some buyers opt for gated communities. Architecturally, homes range from contemporary lofts and town homes to spacious single family homes and high-end estates. Home prices span a wide range here enabling many people to realize their American dream in this unique community.Parks an
Many residents in The Woodlands enjoy golf. Here are some of the clubs and courses in the Woodlands:
- The Player Course, in the Village of Sterling Ridge, is a Signature course designed by Gary Player. It boasts water features on 11 holes with native grasses at the perimeter. Three acres of practice facilities provide 15,000 square feet of putting surface and two chipping greens.
Canongate at The Woodlands offers reasonably priced memberships and great golf are the hallmarks of Canongate at The Woodlands, a club that offers members access to The Oaks and Panther Trail courses in The Woodlands; Lake Windcrest in nearby Magnolia, TX; Magnolia Creek and South Shore Harbour in League City, TX.
Shopping and DiningResidents of The Woodlands enjoy widely varied shopping and dining options. From elegant to casual, choices are many. The 34-acre Market Street evokes a "Main Street" feel; its shopping district includes shops, eateries and a movie theater. The area is perfect for ambling to Sur La Table, Brooks Brothers, Tiffany's, Z Gallerie and others. After building an appetite, diners can select casual fare like Chipotle or Potbelly’s or fine dining establishments such as Jasper’s or Tommy Bahama’s Restaurant & Bar.
The popular Woodlands Waterway® offers a Waterway Cruiser for travel to other attractions in Town Center. Shops here include such names as Barnes & Noble, Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn and Pottery Barn Kids, Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters and others. Dining choices include Brio Tuscan Grille, Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar and PF Chang’s China Bistro.
In keeping with the design concept in The Woodlands, each village has its own shopping center including a grocery store with shops, services, fast food and dine-in restaurants and various professional offices.
DiningEateries in or near The Woodlands Town Center & Waterway:
- Baker Street Pub
- Brio Tuscan Grille
- The Cheesecake Factory
- Crush Wine Lounge
- Dimassi's Mediterranean Buffet
- Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar
- Grimaldi's Pizzeria
- Guadalajara Grille
- Hubbell & Hudson Market & Bistro
- Kirby’s Steakhouse
- Kita Japanese Cuisine
- Kona Grill
- Landry’s Seafood House
- Mortons Grille
- Macaroni Grill
- Nick's Fish Dive and Oyster Bar
- PF Chang’s China Bistro
- Rockfish Grille
- TGI Friday's
- The Counter Gourmet Burgers
- The Goose's Acre
- The Refuge
- Yucatan Taco Stand
- Café Express
- Crú Wine Bar
- La Madeleine
- Schilleci's New Orleans Kitchen
- Stadia Sports Grill
- Tommy Bahama’s Restaurant & Bar
- Uni Sushi
- Broken Barrell - Wine Bar
- California Pizza Kitchen
- Del Frisco's Grille
- Fogo De Chao
- Local Pour
- The Blue Fish
- Amerigos – Grogan's Mill
- Avenida Steakhouse - Research Forest
- Becks Prime - Grogan’s Mill
- Bob's Steak and Chop House - Research Forest
- The Black Walnut Café – Research Forest
- Caffe Di Fiore - Sterling Ridge
- Cellar 24 - Wine Bar - Sterling Ridge
- Chef Chan (Chinese) – Grogan’s Mill
- China Spring – Indian Springs
- China Bridge - Alden Bridge
- Chilis - Indian Springs
- Chuck E. Cheese – College Park
- Crust Pizza - Panther Creek , Alden Bridge
- Fielding's Local - Creekside Village
- Fielding's Wood Grill - Research Forest
- Fuddrucker’s – Grogan’s Mill, Creekside Village
- Gringos - Sterling Ridge
- Goode Co. Kitchen and Cantina
- Huti's 5 - Research Forest
- Hubbell & Hudson Kitchen - Research Forest
- Kan's Sushi & Steakhouse - Alden Bridge
- La Trattoria Tuscano - Research Forest
- Lama Mediterranean Cafe - Research Forest
- Los Cucos (Mexican) - Panther Creek
- Mama Fu's Asian House - Research Forest
- Masa's Sushi - Panther Creek
- Nit Noi (Thai) – Sterling Ridge
- Pei Wei Asian Diner - Indian Springs
- Perry’s Grille & Steakhouse – Sterling Ridge
- Ploy Thai – Research Forest
- Refuge - Creekside Village
- Rico’s (Mexican) – Alden Bridge
- Republic Grille - Panther Creek
- Robards - Grogan's Mill
- Rooster by Fieldings - Research Forest
- Ruggles Green - Research Forest
- Sake Kawa (Japanese) – Indian Springs, Research Forest
- Shanghai Bistro (Chinese) - Research Forest
- Shogun Japanese Grill & Sushi Bar – Windvale (Alden Bridge)
- Skeeter’s Mesquite Grill – Cochran’s Crossing
- The Egg & I – Research Forest
- The Hub Bistro - Creekside Village
- The Red Phoenix (Chinese) – College Park
- Torchy's Taco - Cochran's Crossing
- Willie’s Icehouse – College Park
- Via Emilia - Indian Springs
- Zoes Kitchen - Sterling Ridge
- Burger King - Cochran's Crossing, Alden Bridge, Panther Creek
- Chick-fil-A - Pinecroft, Alden Bridge
- Jack-in-the-Box - Alden Bridge
- McDonald's - Panther Creek, Cochran's Crossing, Sterling Ridge
- Popeye's - Panther Creek
- Shipley's Donuts - Alden Bridge
- Starbucks – College Park, Indian Springs, Panther Creek, Research Forest, Alden Bridge
- Subway - Panther Creek, Alden Bridge, Cochran's Crossing, Creekside, Indian Springs
- Taco Bell - Panther Creek
- Wendy's - Sterling Ridge